Thursday 2 December 2010

Russia gets 2018 World Cup - Helena Pielichaty

I've just watched history being made. My heart raced as, live on TV, the President of FIFA, Sepp 'if women want me to take their football seriously they should wear shorter shorts' Blatter,  announced the nation to host the World Cup in 2018 would be... Russia. This was after speculation that because President Putin hadn't turned up, they'd already thrown in the towel. So much for speculation. The presence of Abramovic and Arshavin was enough to convince the 27 members of FIFA who had the vote.
A few minutes earlier the commentator had said that news was breaking on Twitter that England's bid had fallen short, despite the best efforts of our 'three lions' - David Cameron (prime minister) Prince William (Kate's bloke) and David Beckham (legend).

I'm disappointed - of course I am. Hosting the World Cup would have been amazing and I know we'd have done a first class job of it. Still, I'm sure everyone in Portugal, Spain & Holland feel the same. I'll have to wait and see what reasons FIFA give for choosing Russia tomorrow. The media will be in meltdown, that's for sure. In his opening speech, Blatter called England 'the motherland of football.'  It is and while nobody can take that away from us, I wish they'd stop penalising us for it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment