Tuesday 30 November 2010

Football memories

I haven't always loved football. I was a young kid when England won the World Cup in 1966, but I have absolutely NO memory of it at all. I got into it a few years later when I was about 11, and have been following it ever since. My dad used to take me to Molineux to watch Wolverhampton Wanderers, and a good deal has changed since then. The offside rule has been tinkered with a few times, there are now four officials instead of a referee and two linesmen - oh, and there were no seats on the terraces so we stood up for the whole match. Happy days.
When I met my husband, he was a Spurs supporter. He still is - and he's a very satisfied one these days (except he doesn't like Palacios and thinks Harry should sell him). We used to go to White Hart Lane when we lived in Cambridge, but now we're back in the Midlands, we go to Molineux instead. Watching Wolves is a bit of an ordeal, though. The tension in the stadium is unbearable when you're in the bottom three, especially when you hear that your rivals in the relegation fight (West Ham) are winning, too. The Sunderland result was great stuff.  
My husband and I are also members of Englandfans and have been to all the home games for the last four or five years, as well as to Portugal for Euro 2004. The World Cup this year was such a disappointment though - not just England. but some of the other teams, too. And I must admit, I'm waiting for England to impress me again before I make the long journey down to Wembley from Shropshire.
My name's Narinder and you can check out my football series 'The Beautiful Game' at narinderdhami.com

No comments:

Post a Comment