Thursday 25 November 2010

Dan Tunstall

As this is the first time I've contributed to this blog, I'll kick off with a bit about myself. My name is Dan Tunstall, I'm from Leicester and I'm a writer of teenage fiction. My first novel, Big and Clever, was published last year.

My love of football is closely tied to my love of my hometown team, Leicester City. I went to my first match back in the dim and distant autumn of 1978. The football bug had started to bite me earlier that year, when I watched Ipswich beat Arsenal in the FA Cup Final, and it really dug its teeth in during that summer's World Cup in Argentina - Archie Gemmill, Mario Kempes and all that ticker-tape...

Leicester were, in fact, pretty terrible during 1978/79, but by some strange coincidence, my dad managed to take me on one of the rare Saturday afternoons when it all came together. We stuffed Brighton 4-1, and I've been hooked ever since.

Thirty-two years on from that first match, it's fair to say I've had an eventful time as a Leicester fan. I started counting the promotions and relegations I've witnessed, but ended up running out of fingers. It's been the proverbial rollercoaster ride. The jury is still out on the new regime at Leicester. Sven Goran Eriksson is bringing a flavour of cosmopolitan sophistication, while a lot of fans are still hankering after Nigel Pearson's up-and-at-em style. In the end though, it's results that will decide. And if we're welcoming Arsenal at the Walkers Stadium next August, I don't think anyone will be moaning.

http://www.dantunstall.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment