Tuesday 6 September 2011

A Window Of Opportunity - Dan Tunstall

Not everyone in football is a fan of the Transfer Windows in January and July/August. Respected figures in the game like Steve Coppell, the former Reading manager, and Sven Goran Eriksson, ex of Man City and England, now at the helm at Leicester, have spoken out against them.

According to Coppell and Eriksson, the Transfer Windows have a destabilising effect. Managers can suddenly find themselves without key players and struggling clubs are often forced into panic buying in the mid-season window in a desperate attempt to preserve their status in a particular division, sometimes with disastrous effects for their finances.

I can see the value in these arguments, but it seems like the Transfer Windows are here to stay. And the one thing that no-one can deny is that they provide plenty of drama. The two Deadline Days have become a bit of an extravaganza on Sky Sports News over the past few years, but there's plenty to enjoy in the lead-up period too.

As a writer, I spend a lot of my days sitting in my office staring at a blank screen on my laptop, wondering where I'm going to produce some words from. At times like these, as a bit of a distraction, I often find myself Googling "latest transfer rumours". And for a Leicester fan, this summer has been a cracker. In addition to all the players we signed (I think it was twelve, but I might have lost count), we seemed to be linked with every striker under the sun.

Andy Johnson. Cameron Jerome. Yakubu. Victor Anichebe. Shane Long. Nicky Maynard. Nikica Jelavic. Simon Cox. Adam le Fondre. Robbie Keane. Matt Derbyshire...the list went on and on.

In the end, our only piece of transfer business on Deadline Day was bringing in Jermaine Beckford from Everton. Scored lots of goals in League One, did OK in the Premier League last season. Hopefully should be a good signing.

In the meantime, I'm going to have to find something else to do with my time when I'm supposed to be writing. Although I suppose I could keep an eye on what's happening in the loan market...

www.dantunstall.com

No comments:

Post a Comment